CA – Emeryville
Explore and Discover Nielsen! With offices located in 110 countries, we are a global independent measurement and big data analytics company focused on your future.
Gracenote, a Nielsen Company is the leading provider of entertainment metadata and media recognition technology that powers discovery features for top TV, music, sports and automotive platforms.
Note that this position could work from a Gracenote office, a Nielsen office, or remotely / work from home.
Each of Gracenote’s verticals face distinct challenges. From servicing billions of requests a day for the Music business, to providing the data powering global TV Grids in the Video business, to dealing with the dynamics of Real Time Sports Data. In order to meet the 24/7/365 requirements of our customers, as well as those of internal groups like Engineering and Customer Care; Gracenote has created the Service Operation Support (SOS) team. With a goal of meeting the company’s internal and external needs, the SOS group is working to create a modern, scalable and highly automated platform for comprehensive monitoring, alerting, and troubleshooting for our heterogeneous infrastructure, and large number of application components. Our customers demand accurate and up to date data, and the SOS group has been built to ensure that we deliver it.
As a System Reliability Engineer (SRE), the successful candidate will be responsible for bridging the gap between first and second level responders and Engineering, Infrastructure, and DevOps organizations, as well as supporting the overall operation of the SOS group. This candidate should have a passion for automation and quality; An understanding of the interaction between Legacy and Current Systems, On Premises and Cloud; and most importantly: the desire to constantly make things better.
Some desired skills and knowledge are:
- An in-depth knowledge of Linux/Unix administration.
- A proficiency in Networking in both Physical and Cloud Environments.
- Experience with, and knowledge of, both Relational and Non-Relational Databases and Data Stores. (Cassandra, Kafka, Elasticsearch, MSSQL etc.)
- Big Data tools such as Hadoop and Spark.
- Extensive experience with high level languages like Python, Ruby and Perl.
- Scripting with Bash or Power shell.
- Container Orchestration with Kuberenetes.
- Knowledge or experience with Prometheus
- Knowledge or experience with Graphana
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science or other technical discipline, or related practical experience.
- 5 – 10 years of relevant experience on Unix/Linux system administration or Database administration, focusing on reliability, deployment, and migration
- Experience working with geographical disparate teams
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (including listening, speaking, and writing) and ability to work well in a diverse, team-focused environment with Engineers, Product Managers, etc.
- Ability to assess, analyze and resolve complicated issues, and distill that complexity into simple communication
- Participation in on call rotation
- Experience working with complex 24×7 production systems
Gracenote, a Nielsen company, is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class