CA – Emeryville
Explore and Discover Nielsen! With offices located in 110 countries, we are a global independent measurement and big data analytics company focused on your future.
Gracenote, a Nielsen Company is the leading provider of entertainment metadata and media recognition technology that powers discovery features for top TV, music, sports and automotive platforms
Gracenote is looking for a creative Senior Software Engineer to join our Music Engineering organization. Our Music Engineering organization is responsible for a wide variety of music products that help hundreds of millions of music fans identify, discover and connect with the songs and artists they love.
For this particular role, we are looking for someone to join our team of talented software developers working on the next generation of Gracenote’s core music database. We’re developing a new data model and content management system, and the person in this role will be responsible for building large components of the system.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to be a valued member of a self-organizing agile team. You will become an expert in Gracenote’s music technologies and platforms and will have the opportunity to work on projects from conception to completion. A typical work day can range from researching and prototyping solutions, solving problems, developing tools, brainstorming with team members and writing/architecting software for our music products.
If you are passionate about music and love the challenges of working with dynamic data, this is the position for you!
FOR THIS ROLE WE ARE LOOKING FOR INDIVIDUALS THAT HAVE:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related technical field
- 5 or more years of professional experience building and maintaining complex software projects
- Proficiency in Python, C, C#, Java and/or Go
- Experience with Linux/Unix environment
- Experience working with large datasets and ETL processes
- Experience with SQL and other database technologies
- Preferred but not required experience with deploying and operating cloud-based and/or distributed infrastructure as well as setting up continuous integration pipelines
- Working knowledge of any of the following technologies/tools that we use on a daily basis:
- HDFS, MapReduce, Hive, Sqoop, Spark
- MongoDB, Cassadra, MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, Elasticsearch, Redis
- Kubernetes, Docker and/or other microservices
- Jenkins, Airflow, Grafana and GIT
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to think outside the box
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and well in teams
- Enthusiasm about music, music data and solving problems in this space
WHAT DO WE OFFER…
- The chance to work alongside a highly skilled technical team allowing you to come up with designs, implement them, and solve interesting software problems
- A welcoming atmosphere that will instantly make you feel comfortable within our team-oriented and fun environment
- To be a part of a company that invests in programming tools that will make the development experience easier
- A creative, musical culture featuring employee concerts and performances year round
Gracenote, a Nielsen company, is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class