CA – Emeryville
Senior Software Engineer (Big Data, Advanced Analytics) – Emeryville, CA – 44647
Gracenote – USA Emeryville, California
ABOUT THIS JOB
At Nielsen, we bring together big data and technology to provide our media clients with insights into consumers’ viewing behavior. Nielsen Advanced Video Advertising is a new initiative that combines Gracenote’s market leading Automatic Content Recognition (ACR) technology and strong relationships with Smart TV OEMs with Nielsen’s core audience measurement expertise and assets to focus on dynamic ad insertion on Smart TVs and Smart TV measurement (viewership, ad exposure). As a Senior Software Engineer in our Big Data & Analytics team (Ads), you will build a profiling, decisioning, and ad measurement pipeline to power personalized and dynamic ad insertions on Smart TVs.
- Develop a Big Data processing and analytics pipeline using a variety of tools such as Apache Spark, Spark Streaming, Kafka, and Elasticsearch
- Collaborate with Data Science and other Tech teams on AI/Deep Learning models
- Build User Profiles and Targeting attributes that power personalized ad campaigns on Smart TVs
- Real-time Decisioning to deliver the right ad to the right person at the right time
- Analytics/Insights to report on the impact and performance of the ad replacements
- Operating and scaling our algorithms in AWS
- Working with PBs of data
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOU
You want to make an impact in the media industry, and you’re passionate about efficient algorithms that can manipulate data at scale. You like to extract insights and generate User Profiles, build real-time decisioning engines, and complex analytics from PBs of TV data. You love solving problems for your clients and bringing creative new ideas to their business. Curiosity, communication, and critical thinking drive your work. You thrive in a fast-paced environment — you focus, dig in, and get it done.
- BS in Computer Science or Mathematics (Master's preferred)
- 5+ years of experience in Java or Scala development
- 2+ years of experience with Apache Spark
- Ability to turn requirements and problem descriptions into maintainable solutions
- Knowledge of Python and ML packages like TensorFlow/PyTorch
- Familiar with data mining concepts and machine learning algorithms
- Familiarity with Advertising Tech is good to have
We’re in tune with what the world is watching, buying, and everything in between. If you can think of it, we’re measuring it. We sift through the small stuff and piece together big pictures to provide a comprehensive understanding of what’s happening now and what’s coming next for our clients. Today’s data is tomorrow’s marketplace revelation.
We like to be in the middle of the action. That’s why you can find us at work in over 100 countries. From global industry leaders to small businesses, consumer goods to media companies, we work with them all. We’re bringing in data 24/7 and the possibilities are endless. See what’s next with us at Nielsen: careers.nielsen.com
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Emeryville,California
Secondary Locations: , , ,